Monday, May 31, 2010


The dance-show was a lot of fun. My red dress didn't fly up in the air like I anticipated, and the straps of my heels didn't snap mid-dance. My partner (though he was way, way, way older than me) didn't drop me (he only nearly did), and he twirled me just right. Salsa is fun, and if law-school and internship didn't eat up so much time, and if I could find a suave guy for a dance partner, who doesn't think that dancing is gay, and who doesn't have hygiene issues, I'd do it every damn day!
Now it's just the internship. The internship. Massive pain in the rear internship.
Why is legal drafting so boring?
WHY can't I be given "WORK" to do? Not just researching on some ridiculous pointless property dispute and the Law of Wills and the Hindu Succession Act, 1956 (which is one of the most bloody archaic laws I've ever come across, but heck, I'm a first year law student. What do I know? I live in my idyllic, rosy bubble where there is uniform civil code, AND anarchy. Contradictory, right?). What is left of my legal brain is rotting and rusting from facebooking, blogging, chatting with random people from the past that I don't intend to really catch up with, and doing other pointless non-intellectual activities between the occasional bouts of research.
And I JUST found out that this is a paid internship. I'm going to get paid for sitting in this air-conditioned office everyday for a couple of hours, using their super-fast internet connection to facebook, blog and chat with random people. I hope they don't pay me. I really hope they don't. I don't deserve this. I feel like a supreme lazy bitch. But then, I'm not lazy.
THERE IS JUST NO WORK TO DO. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. No. WORK.
The stupid court is closed, and it won't open till next week. There are these super-smart fresh-out-of-law-school associates here who keep flying about the office filing writs by the second. This place is over-staffed, and there is JUST NO WORK.
GIVE ME WORK!! Make me file a writ, type out a legal-notice. Something! I'm not that stupid. What is left of my brain is functional enough to WORK, which is why I'm interning in the first place. I'm supposed to LEARN, not learn to be a SNEAKY, LAZY BITCH MISUSING OFFICE PRIVILEGES. Urgh! I'm blinking at this fat, huge, 5000 page text on the Law of Wills researching for a case that has been pending in court for the last two decades and that is probably not scheduled for hearing until next year.
Law-school. And its numerous myths.