Sunday, January 25, 2009

The View From The Top

My last day here. Exactly 24 hours from now, I'll be sitting on an airplane to Delhi, and will hopefully snag the window seat and will be peering out of the miniature window staring at the world below me, amidst swirls of clouds and the glaring light of the sun. That really is the best part of the airplane--staring below at the specks of houses, the tiny, narrow strips of roads and the dots of vehicles that mottle them and the vast stretches of semi-cultivated land...all while devouring airplane food, (which is not as bad as people usually say it is. I've eaten train-food, which is worse than the mess-food. So I am fine with airplane food). I love travelling by flight. Especially if the flight is at night. The view from the top is breathtaking. It reminds me of an inky-black velvet cloth with glittery stones strewn all over it. The glittery stones are visible through the swirls of inky-clouds and the milky-moonlight gives it a pale, pale glow if you notice carefully. And if you just happen to fly over the ocean (and you're not above the clouds), you see tiny ripples of water below, but only if you're very observant. These ripples seem to move with a certain soft, graceful cadence.
I love flying. The view from top is the best view there ever is.